Leading up to the engagement session, there are a lot of questions about what the session will look like, where it will be, how long it will last, how many photos you will receive, how many outfits you should bring, etc. While all those are important questions, they are also easily answered! (Check out our ‘FAQ around Engagement Sessions’ to read up on some of that.) But the more important questions are the ones YOU will answer.
After booking your wedding photographer, the next step is getting the engagement session on the books. However, the timing of that session might be dependent on what you want that session to look like. If you LOVE winter, maybe you want to wait to schedule your session until there is snow on the ground (okay, bad example, this is Texas). If you love the look of fall colors, maybe waiting until October is best. So the DATE of the session may not be the first question. Another thought provoking questions is “Where will I do my engagement session?”, again this may depend on what you are going for as far as the look of the engagement photos. That’s why we’ve created this post. I want to help couple come up with an idea of what they want their engagement session to look like before hand so that going in, they know just what their images will look like!
Here are the questions to be thinking about as you envision your engagement photos:
Where will I want to see these images?
- On my walls in the form of canvases/art?
- In an engagement album?
- At my reception display?
- In frames around my house?
- On facebook everyday?
What are these images going to be used for?
- Save the dates?
- Reception display?
- Gift for parents?
- Guest book?
- Documenting this time in our lives (I’ll give you a hint, this one is always YES!)
What type of images am I drawn to?
- Close ups? Or farther away images?
- Romantic? Or playful images?
- Dramatic? Or fun images?
- Classic Posed images? Or unique, tailored images based on the couple’s interests?
What style do you normally wear or want to wear?
- Southern charm
- Modern clothing
- Elegant attire
- Casual Comfort
- Night on the town styling
Have you thought about trying to get your engagement session featured in a blog or print publication?
- If so, editors like to see VERY unique engagements, that inspire other couples to do unique sessions
Do you want to include anything to make your session even more tailored to you two as a couple?
- Pets (be sure to read out post on tips for bringing dogs)
- Something relating to how he proposed?
- Something relating to what you do for work? (We’ve done baseball themed engagements, as well as engagements on a train)
- Something you love to do together that highlights your personalities (we’ve done mini golf sessions, record/antique shop sessions, cozy home sessions, etc.)
What is the most important thing for you two to walk away from this session with?
- A handful of stellar images for your walls?
- Enough photos to put into your engagement album?
- A save the date images?
- The experience and a wonderful afternoon with the person you love most (plus me..hehe)
Once you’ve gone through all those questions we can often see an underlying theme. Perhaps you like those timeless, classic posed portraits in a beautiful setting, or maybe you want your session to be incredibly unique, like nothing anyone else could ever get! Either way, once there is a theme, THEN the location can be decided on, and then a time.